I doubt that I could summarize it better than Oliver Strand, so I’ll just let him do it for you.
$500.50 a Pound for Coffee Beans - NYT (clicky)
Summary: El Injerto wins Guatemala CoE, fetching an astronomical price.
Matt Perger takes home the still under-rated World Brewers Cup to Australia.
I’d like to note, Andy Sprenger of Cermony Coffee in Annapolis, MD won a respectable 2nd place. (go USA)
Due to the lack of a willing host (come on, people, we can’t just expect Cuvee to take on the burden every year.. ), this year’s South Central Regional Barista Competition will be held in conjunction with the North Central Regional Barista Competition in Chicago, Illinois on March 23rd – 25th.
- Where: Ravenswood Event Center, 4011 North Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, IL 60613
- When: 11:00am, March 23, 2012 to 5:00pm, March 25, 2012
- Hosts: Intelligentsia Coffee, Counter Culture Coffee and Alterra Coffee
- States in Region (SCRBC): Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi
- States in Region (NCRBC): North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan
- Event Link: The Big Central Regional Barista Competition
- Competitors Registration: The link isn’t up yet (pathetic.. seriously), so I would harrass the BGA via their contact page or get in contact with our regional BGA representative, Lorenzo Perkins at Cuvee Coffee.
- Judges Registration: see above(Competitors Registration)
- Volunteers Registration: see above(Competitors Registration)
- Travel Information: “coming soon”.. you know the dates and location.. map it, search TripAdvisor, and knock yourself out. I suggest allowing a day or two after the competition to do a cafe crawl or three, and maybe a roasting works tour at Intelligentsia. Of course, Chicago has a lot to offer all its own aside from coffee, so choose your priorities carefully. /travel_agent_script